Sunday, June 5, 2011

Trials

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1:2-4

I'm finally beginning to understand what it means to consider it pure joy to face trials. I don't think I've ever felt more powerless or out of control as far as my current trials go and everything I've been enduring. And for someone who's a bit of a control freak, it's a bit unsettling and overwhelming. But I also know I have never felt closer to God. I've never seen or known Him like this. I've never felt more alive, or more sure of anything. I have never trusted Him more, I have never had more hope in Him. I've never felt more blessed or been more thankful for all that He is and all I have in Him. I've never been so in love. I am absolutely captivated. He is with me and He is making me mature and complete in Him. I lack nothing.

How else to describe it? Pure joy.

Am I saying that the trials we face won't be painful or difficult, won't involve suffering and grief and won't test us to the utmost? No. But are they ultimately worth it to help us realize more and more the depth of our need for God and to bring us closer and closer to Him? Yes, without a doubt. Whatever it takes to be entirely His, to see Him glorified. Christ is worth everything. It's good news. :)

All of my life, in every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship!


No comments:

Post a Comment