Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Aftermath

The following excerpt is from my Bible study today. Easter may have come and gone, but I find that there is no getting over the cross. There is no overlooking or forgetting the ultimate price that has been paid for our freedom and redemption. It is here that we first see and encounter the Father's great love for us - the width, length, height and depth of which we can hardly even begin to comprehend (Eph. 3:17-18). And we will never fully know what it cost. All I can do is marvel at the amazing grace in which I stand, knowing that even on my best, most "spiritual" days I remain entirely unworthy to approach God in His holiness and that the very first sin I committed, however big or small, nailed my perfect and spotless Savior to the cross. Jesus lived the life I could never live and in my place died the death I deserved to die. Now He is alive, living to intercede for me until the day of His return, and through Him I have unhindered access to God for all of eternity. My head is spinning and my heart is overwhelmed!

So read this slowly, meditate on it and let the weight of it sink in and grip your soul. Thank Him, praise Him, worship Him with all you are and all you have, because He gave it all for you. He gives His all to you, no conditions, no strings attached. He delights in you (Zeph. 3:17). You were the joy set before Him to endure the cross (Heb. 12:2). Now you are forgiven and you are free, not because of anything you've done or could ever do, but just because of who He is.

Never forget.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8

In the depths of our depravity Christ died for us. He did not wait for persons to get as close as possible through obedience to the law and righteous living. Not once did He proclaim to His Father: "Close enough! This one made it!" In the breadth of our separation from God, Christ died for us. He died for people who yelled, "Crucify Him!" He died for those who ripped His flesh with whips. He died for those who slapped Him and spit on Him, for those who mocked Him, embedding a crown of thorns in His brow. He died for those who humiliated Him by stripping away His garments. He died for the soldier who pounded the nails into His flesh. He died for the one who gave Him vinegar to drink. He died for the 11 who ran for their lives. In the moment in all of history when humanity could not have been further from God, Christ died for us.

Christ died not just for the depths of that generation's depravity: "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message" (John 17:20). He who knew all things died in advance for the most depraved deed I would ever commit. Although I was not present in that crowd that dreadful day, my sins most assuredly were.

So horrendous were the sins that hung on Christ that day, His Father was forced to look away. His Holiness had to forsake His own Son so that through His sacrifice Christ could intercede on our behalf. Jesus experienced the excruciating pain of being forsaken by God so that we might not have to. And because He did, "we have peace with God" (Romans 5:1).

A time surely comes, in the innermost places of our hearts, when we secretly wonder: Could I have been good enough for Christ to avoid the cross? If I could do it all again, knowing all I know now, could I live an unstained life?

But Isaiah 64:6 says: "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away."

Even at our best, our salvation rests only on God's great mercy.

From A Woman's Heart: God's Dwelling Place (Beth Moore)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The skies lay low where You are
On the earth You rest Your feet
Yet the hands that cradle the stars
Are the hands that bled for me

In a moment of glorious surrender
You were broken for all the world to see
Lifted out of the ashes
I am found in the aftermath

Freedom found in Your scars
In Your grace my life redeemed
For You chose to take the sinner's crown
As You placed Your crown on me

And in that moment of glorious surrender
Was the moment You broke the chains in me
Lifted out of the ashes
I am found in the aftermath

And in that moment You opened up the heavens
To the broken, the beggar and the thief
Lifted out of the wreckage
I find hope in the aftermath

And I know You're with me
Yes I know You're with me here
And I know Your love will light the way

Now all I have, I count it all as loss
But to know You, and carry the cross
Knowing I'm found in the light of the aftermath

No comments:

Post a Comment